What are Transition Services?
In 2009, The Coleman Foundation funded several not-for-profit human service organizations, combining their expertise in serving children and adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities and other special needs to collaborate on providing Transition Services.
A Building Bridges to the Future initiative was created to help meet the needs of students in special education and their families as they face the challenges of successfully transitioning from school to adulthood.
The Transition Outreach Specialist provides the students, ages 14-25 yrs, and their families with support, linkage, and resources to help navigate this period of transition.
A manual has been produced (free of charge) to assist families and professionals in transitioning students with intellectual/developmental disabilities to the world of adult services, available through this link:
What Type of Assistance is Offered?
Assistance with linkages to:
Entry into Illinois Developmental Disabilities System
- Connect to independent Service Coordination (ISC) Agency
- Explain Prioritization of Urgency for Need for Services (PUNS) and funding service options
- Referral to Respite Services
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Important Legal Considerations
- Delegation of Rights
- Special Needs Trusts
- Power of Attorney
- Supported Decision Making
- Home and Community Based Waiver Programs
- Residential Programs
- Community Day Services
- Department of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)
- Parent Education and Support
- Professional Education Support
Who is served by Building Bridges?
Clearbrook currently serves students aged 14 through 25 with an intellectual/developmental disability, and their families primarily in north/northwest suburban areas, including Cook, Lake, DuPage, McHenry, Kane, Kendall, and Will counties.
Districts and schools/transition programs partnering with Clearbrook
Included but not limited to:
- District 214 Hersey High School; Forestview Academy
- District 203 Naperville Connections
- NSSEO Kirk and Miner Schools Palatine/Arlington Heights
- Park School Evanston
- Prairie Ridge Strive Crystal Lake
- Huntley LIGHT Program Algonquin
- Richmond-Burton High School
- Woodstock High School
Contact InformationIf you would like more information about Building Bridges, please contact Michelle Schwartz, Transition Outreach Specialist at 847-385-5354 or email@example.com.