During the Fall of 1955, a small group of parents began meeting with hopes to establish a school for their special needs children. Soon after, on April 16, 1956, Clearbrook was born when the doors of our first classroom opened. Designated as the "Rolling Meadows Community School for Retarded Children Council," we were originally housed in a barn before our first permanent building was acquired in 1961.
From these humble beginnings, Clearbrook has continued to grow and provide services to more than 3,400 children and adults with developmental disabilities
- Serves 13 counties in 160 communities in Chicago and surrounding suburbs.
- Provides services at over 45 locations.
- Employs nearly 900 full-and part-time staff.
- Is the largest provider in the State of Illinois of home-based services.
- Has just under 500 people on our waiting list for residential services.
- Has an administrative overhead of 8% - well below the industry standard of 15-25%.
- Is licensed, certified and/or accredited by the Illinois Department of Human Services, the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Illinois Office of Rehabilitation Services, NISH and the Department of Labor.
- Receives approximately 70% of our funding from the government.