Clearbrook’s Developmental Training program offers an array of weekday services to adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities. By providing a variety of opportunities, our clients are able to expand their interaction with their peers, their community and the world at large within structured settings. An individualized program plan is developed around each client, resulting in services that are a blend of instruction, interventions, activities and experiences. Participants are encouraged and supported in expressing their interests in the planning of services.
Developmental Training provides participants with opportunities to continue to learn based upon their interests and abilities. Emphasis is placed on socialization and community participation.
Program Highlights and Accomplishments
- Our art program serves all clients and utilizes the visual arts to promote independence, motor control and personal expression.
- In the past year, our clients have taken trips to our state’s capital in Springfield, our nation’s capital in Washington D.C. and Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Our music program includes music appreciation and music making with drums, guitars, pianos and tambourines.
- Fitness and exercise are stressed for all program participants.
- Once a month, all participants are involved in the meal planning, preparation and clean-up of a hot lunch.
- Each participant has a series of individualized goals, developed around his or her unique needs.
- For our clients that wish to give back, Developmental Training has partnered with community organizations such as Meals on Wheels, allowing our clients the opportunity to help others as volunteers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What type of staff-to-client ratios do you have at Developmental Training? Ratios range from 4-to-1 for individuals with the highest levels of need to a 6-to-1 ratio for participants that function more independently.
- What are your hours of service? Developmental Training offers programming from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Can family members visit the day program? Absolutely. Clearbrook understands and believes that family support is a huge key to success in working with people with disabilities. Families are encouraged to participate in the programming options at DT.
- What about transportation to the day program? Transportation is one of the most common challenges we face for our clients. Clearbrook has a limited ability to provide transportation, but we explore that as the first option. If Clearbrook transportation is not available, Clearbrook staff will work with the families and clients to explore the array of transportation options available (such as PACE programs, local township transportation options, etc.).
- Do participants leave the facility at all during the day? Yes. Community outings play an integral part of the programming at DT. Part of our mission is to assist people in becoming more independent, and we believe that we need to access the general community in order to make that happen.
Staff Positions and Primary Responsibilities
Program Director - Oversees entire program.
Program Coordinator - Oversees program, directly supervises all management staff.
Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professional (QIDP) – Serves as the primary contact for family members, writes program plans and develops goals for individuals that live with family members.
Client Services Manager - Supervises the Developmental Trainers.
Developmental Trainers - Works directly with the clients, assisting with activities and goals.
Activity Manager and Activity Staff - Plans and carries out special program events, activities and outings.
Where is the program located?
Clearbrook’s Developmental Training programs are located:
1425 Payne Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173
18180 Gages Lake Road
Gages Lake, IL 60030
746 S. Vermont Street
Palatine, IL 60067
What are the age requirements to participate in the program?
Developmental Training serves adults with intellectual/disabilities over the age of 18.
If you would like more information about Clearbrook’s Developmental Training programs, please contact our Admissions Department: